Thursday, April 17, 2014

Part 2: Faith, Hope & Blessings

Part 1 can be found HERE

Once I said my goodbyes I went into my car and drove home to get the kids ready to pack. My dear friend Andrea that was watching my kids at the time thought of an amazing plan. Her husband was going to drive with his car and I would drive with mine. So we were packed and out the door within 15 min. Since the weather was still raining we were going to have to go over a HUGE mountain pass and it was snowing through there. I wasn’t too scared because I was on a mission to get to the hospital. I slide a few times but I knew the Lord was with me. When we got to Heber I had the kids climb in Andreas car and she was going to take them to my sisters house. I then we on my way to Primary Children’s hospital. 

I arrived just shortly after 9 pm and found Kyle was still in the same condition in the PICU as I left in Vernal. There plans were to do a spinal tap and then they were going to incubate him. Until they figured out what was going on. I remember as they gave the drug to semi-sedate him for the Spinal Tap he actually cried. Which to me was GREAT he was showing emotion and I needed to hear his sad little cry. They did the procedure and went out of the room to go check on something and they were going to come back. The sedation medicine they gave to him did the exact opposite. He woke up! He was still unable to really move and he could not talk But we saw his EYES. And that was the first tender mercy that the Lord gave me. He was up for a good 15 min. before he crashed again. I was happy to see his eyes. I didn’t know when the next time would be so I was celebrating the little things. They didn’t incubate him, The DRs came in and were just astonished. They were so surprised that he was awake and slightly moving his head up and down for yes or no.
I stayed with Kyle that night. We still didn’t know the cause of his sickness. So we were waiting it out and were going to get a MRI in the morning.

Morning came and we were excited Kyle started moaning. He was whimpering so we were asking him all kinds of question as to what hurt. We finally figured out that he needed to go to the bathroom. So Aj was in the room at the time and we sat him up and He peed in the container so they could calculate how much he went. As we sat him back down he curled up in a ball and threw-up on the bedside. This is what he always did when he was feeling sick. As that moment it was me and Aj in the PICU room along with Kyle were all alone. There was a Code Blue. You could literally feel time stood still. It was absolutely scary to thinking about the child in the other room. Aj and I just stared at each other and it REALLY hit home that a child in the other room wasn’t going to make. We could feel the peace and sense of craziness  all at once. And this is when we both just lost it. We still had our son laying there still sick but showing more signs of life than he ever had in the past few days. 

We still didn’t know at that time what was going to happen. We didn’t fully know what Kyle had. We did know that our Father in Heaven was watching down on us. I know he sent angels to help us. The neurology team came and did an evaluation. After all the intense testing including a MRI and EEG. The neurologist came in and discussed what Kyle had after reviewing his systems. We were finally going to get some answers. He was diagnosed with Acute post infectious cerebellitis. WHAT?!?! I didn’t know what that even was. I finally understand that it is a infection on the Cerebellum part of the brain. It focuses on your motor functions and balance. So the DR explained that Kyle had a LONG road ahead of us. They told us a good 4-6 weeks in Primary Children’s Hospital and then additional 1-2 months at a intense physical therapy rehab. They couldn’t tell how server until he was more alert. They said he would be in the Sleeping state for quite sometime. When they told us I don’t know if I was ready to believe them or not. It just didn’t click with me. I just felt that somehow we were going to be able to spend General Conference at home.
This was the time we let our family know about his condition. We were hopeful that he could make a FULL recovery. Kyle still was motion sickness when he got up so he really could only sit up for a short period of time maybe 1 min. before he would start throwing up. Later in the afternoon Kyle started waking up at random times. We were so blessed that he was alert and able to shake his head yes or no. We felt confident that he would keep continuing to improve. This is when Aj’s parents and my parents had come up and support Kyle and our family. We were blessed with the love and support of ALL or family and friends. We couldn’t have done it without there many prayers and faith. 

When the DR came in and saw how Kyle would wake up randomly they were quite surprised. Because he was so stable they were going to move him to a new unit. We were blessed. We had just received a knew RSV baby patient in the same room and knew Kyle would not sleep well that night. They called down to the medical floor to ask and see if they could handle Kyle and his condition at such a early point. They said yes. So up we went to the new floor. We got settled in and Kyle was more alert then ever. He still did not talk but he could shake his head yes or no. That night Kyle threw-up. They were going to put a feeding tube down his throat if he couldn’t keep food down. We cleaned him up and then we went to bed. I went home with my parents to Mapleton where the rest of the kids were.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

I woke up to breakfast in bed. My Dad made me eggs and pancakes for breakfast. I felt like a princess and realized that it was my birthday. Our plan that day was to take the kids up to see Kyle. I was debating on home to take them since I didn’t drive and there was not enough seats in my parents car. We decided on Front runner. The kids were SO excited to ride the train up to Salt Lake. We had always talked about riding the train before we moved out of Spanish Fork but never got around to it. So we rode the train and when we entered the hospital room. It was so good to see kyle looking around and watching mickey mouse. Kyle looked at us with a BIG smile and then looked at Carter. When the kids came in Carter said he needed to use the bathroom. He was talking to me but Kyle piped up and you could hear him faintly say., “There's a bathroom over their.” I just looked at Kyle in amazement. What a Night and Day difference. It was a sure treat to see him up. It took me by surprise that Kyle was able to say something. 

The kids played and watched TV which they thought was really fun. Kyle was able to walk with heavy support to go to the bathroom. His moments of dizziness were starting to fade. When the DR came in for the day they were amazed at how well he was doing. We asked, With his progress doing SO well when could we expect him home. They said if he starts eating and keeping it down then it won’t be long. They said at his progress he can be home by the weekend. We were EX TACTIC! The kids went home with Papa and Nana back to Mapleton. My parents stayed with Kyle while me and AJ went to Cheesecake cake factory for my birthday dinner. It was very delicious. We came back to Kyle and he just ate some food then he started to throw up. Overall his day was good and it was fun too see.

Wednesday April 2, 2014

I slept at my grandpa’s house since it was only 10 mins away. I decided to wake up early and get back to Kyle since I left him he was a little sick from throwing up last night. Kyle wanted pancakes. We had been saying that as a bribe for quite sometime. Well today was the day he got pancakes. He got them and about 20 min. later he threw up. It was hard too see him still not 100% but still SO drastically good at the same time. We played card games then they came around for bingo for anyone that wanted to participate. He played and got to call on the phone if he got a bingo. He got a bingo and everyone was a winner. It was really fun for him. After that he was getting tired so he took a little nap. When he woke up he was hungry so we ordered him something. Aj went to the gym and I stayed with Kyle. That is when my parents showed up. Kyle said ‘ice cream cone’ I said ok we can call so you can order a ice cream cone. I had Kyle call because he really wanted too. I wish I would had videoed the call because it was the sweetest conversation.

Worker said, “Hello?”
Kyle, “Ice Cream Cone.”
Worker, “You want an Ice Cream cone?”
Kyle, “Yes”
Worker: “What flavor?”
Kyle, “Pineapple”
Worker: “We don’t have pineapple”
Kyle, “Vanilla”

Worker: “Ok, We will bring that in 15 min.”

The nurse was in doing his vitals and brought in the tray of food. He got a cone, vanilla ice cream in the container, and fresh pineapple on the side. I put the ice cream in the cone and He was happy. The nurse had been working there for over 10 years and she never knew that they had ice cream cones since it wasn’t on the menu. I believe the worker went down to the cafeteria to get a ‘Cone” I was just so happy that he was eating, talking and overall starting to feel better.

The physical therapist came and wanted to see if Kyle could walk from his room to the fish tank. You can see the video at how well he was walking. He couldn’t walk on his own but he was doing a TON better. We were telling the physical therapist that the DR are thinking he might get to come home on the weekend. She said That’s great. At this point Kyle may need to be sent him home on a walker. His balance is still quite off but he is making leaps and bounds. We had visitors from the Palmer's this afternoon.

I went home to Mapleton with my parents because I was extremely exhausted. Aj was the one who stayed with Kyle most all of the nights.

April 3, 2014

I got a text from AJ around 9 am telling me that we are going to be discharged today. I called him and said WHAT?!? How is that possible? Did he keep food down? Aj told me he was walking with no help at all. He was still a little wobbly but he did it all by himself. I was in shock. I knelt down and thanked my Heavenly Father for this miracle that happen. I knew if was because the faith of my family and friends and the many prayers that were offered to send him home this quickly. I know that is priesthood blessing was TRULY the source of medicine that helped him get better.

When I came to get the Kyle and AJ Kyle was rolling all over the bed and read to get out and played. Aj told me when Kyle woke up he was asking for Carter. He said he wanted his Carter for breakfast. It was pretty cute.

Kyle is now doing so much better. He is walking and running and acts like nothing has ever happened. We thank our Heavenly Father for giving us this tender mercy. We are So glad that our family was able to spend General Conference together as a Whole family. I remember telling my friends that I get to go home and BE TOGETHER and that was the best news EVER!

Since Kyle’s sickness I have been able to bear my testimony about the love of God and the priesthood here on this earth. It seriously has been an experience I will remember and the strength I grew from it.